Robert S. Brown Jr., MD, MPH
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Liver Cancer
- Liver Disease
- Liver Transplantation
- Living Donor Transplantation
- Organ Transplant, Pediatric
- Transplant Follow-Up
- Professor of Pediatrics (in Surgery) at CUMC
- Frank Cardile Professor of Medicine
- Professor of Medicine At Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell Univ
- Medical Director, Transplant Initiative, Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital of NewYork-Presbyterian
- Director, Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Weill Cornell Medical Center
- NewYork-Presbyterian Queens Hospital
- NewYork-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital
Schedule an Appointment
- Amida Care
Emblem Select Care
- Emblem Select Care
Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Fidelis Care
Oxford Health Plans
- Oxford Health Plans
Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- Columbia University Employee Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- New York University School of Medicine
- MD, 1989 New York University School of Medicine
- MPH, 1996 University of California, Berkeley
- Internship: Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA
- Residency: Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MA
- Fellowship: University of California-San Francisco Medical Center
- Internal Medicine
- Transplant Hepatology
Honors & Awards
- Senior Attending Teaching Award, 2009, Awarded by NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center Department of Medicine Housestaff Office
- Young Investigator Award, American Society of Transplant Physicians, 1996
1) Determinants of the outcome of orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT) OLT is a highly successful therapy that has become a standard treatment for many forms of end stage liver disease. Since it is quite expensive, maximizing the benefit while decreasing the cost is of paramount importance. We are currently investigating the predictors of post-transplant outcomes in particular the impact of pre-transplant therapies like TIPS on cost and pre and post-transplant morbidity and mortality. 2) Quality of Life in Chronic Liver Disease Chronic liver disease greatly impairs patients ability to function both physically and within societal and family roles. The impact of liver disease on quality of life has not been extensively investigated. We are utilizing liver disease-specific quality of life instruments and to analyze the impact of liver disease and its treatment on patients with liver disease, those undergoing treatment for Hepatitis C and potential donor and recipients of living donor liver transplants. 3) Artificial Liver Support There is no currently viable support system for patients whose liver is failing analogous to dialysis for renal failure. Several devices have been proposed for this problem. These include those with living liver cells (bioartificial liver devices) and those without liver cells. We are actively involved in trials of both bioartificial as well as dialysis-based artificial liver support systems for acute and chronic liver failure. 4) Clinical Trials in Liver Disease and Transplantation I am involved in many active clinical trials in Liver disease. In addition to studies of artificial liver support, we have several active drug protocols for Hepatitis B and C. We are also currently participating in several multi-center studies to investigate anti-viral prophylaxis strategies as well as various immunosuppressive agents following liver transplantation.
- Clinical and cost outcomes of liver disease, particularly viral hepatitis and liver transplantation
- Decision tree and cost-effectiveness analyses
- Randomized clinical trials, multivariate linear and logistic regression
- Survival Analysis
- New Data from Largest U.S. Hepatitis C Trial Provide Insights Into Optimizing Treatment for Patient Populations Traditionally Considered Difficult to Treat
- Brown R, Jacobson I. Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in Patients with Lamivudine-Resistant Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection: A Review. Am Jour of Gastoenterol (submitted)
- Sher L, Jennings L, Rudich S, Netto G, Teperman L, Kinkhabwala M, Brown RS Jr., Pomfret E, Klintmalm G, HCV-3 Study Group. The Impact of Live Donor Liver Transplantation on Hepatitis C Recurrence: The HCV 3 Trial Experience. (In oress)
- Liaw Y, Raptopoulou-Gigi M, Cheinquer H, Sarin SK, Tanwandee T, Leung N, Peng CY, Myers RP, Brown RS Jr., Jeffers L, Tsai N, Bialkowska J, Tang S, Beebe S, Cooney E. Efficacy and Safety of Entecavir versus Adefovir in Chronic Hepatitis B Patients with Hepatic Decompensation: A Randomized Open-Label Study (submitted)
- Trotter JF, Gillespie BW, Terrault NA, Abecassis MM, Merion RM, Brown RS Jr, Olthoff KM, Hayashi PH, Berg CL, Fisher RA, Everhart JE, and the Adult-to-Adult Living Donor Liver Transplantation Cohort Study Group. Laboratory Test Results After Living Liver Donation in the Adult-to-Adult Living Donor Liver Transplantation Cohort Study. Liver Transpl 17:409-417, 2011
- Hu K, Reilich B, Brown RS, Brass C, Seibel J, Macobson IM. Impact of Hispanic or Asian Ethnicity on the Treatment Outcomes of Chronic Hepatitis C. J. Clin Gastroenterol 2011 (in press)
- Terrault NA, Tran TT, Schiff E, McGuire BM, Brown RS Jr., Tupper R., Ramanathan S, Enejosa J, Zhong L, Zong J - for the Study 531 Team. Pharmacokinetics of Tacrolimus Co-administered with Adefovir Dipivoxil to Liver Transplant Recipients (submitted)
- Hassanein T, Blei AT, Perry W, Hilsabeck R, Stange J, Larsen FS, Brown RS Jr., Caldwell S, McGuire B, Nevens F, Fontana R. Performance of the Hepatic Encephalopathy Scoring Algorithm in a Clinical Trial of Patients with Cirrhosis and Severe Hepatic Encephalopathy. Am Jour of Gastroenterol (submitted)
- Hoofnagle JH, Wahed AS, Brown RS Jr., Howell CD, Belle SH for the Virahep-C Study Group. Early Changes in Hepatitis C Viral Levels in Response to Peginterferon and Ribavirin in African American and Caucasian American Patients with Chronic hepatitis C, Genotype 1 Infection. (submitted)
- Yu J, Neugut A, Wang S, Jacobson J, Ferrante L, Khungar V, Lim E, Hershman D, Brown R, Siegel A. Racial and Insurance Disparities in the Receipt of Transplant among Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma (in press)
- Peng T, Zamanian R, Krowka M, Benza R, Roberts K, Taichman D, Rybak D, Trotter J, Brown RS, Fallon M, Kawut S. Plasma Levels of S100A4 in Portopulmonary Hypertension. BiOMARKERS (in press)
- Roberts KE, Fallon MB, Krowka MJ, Benza RL, Knowles JA, Badesch DB, Brown RS Jr., Taichman DB, Trotter JF, Zachs S, Horn EM, Kawut SM for the PVCLD Study Group. Serotonin Transporter Polymorphisms in Patients with Portopulmonary Hypertension. Chest (in press)
- Rybak D, Fallon MB, Krowka MJ, Brown RS, Reinen J, Stadheim L, Faulk D, Nielsen C, Al-Naamani N, Roberts K, Zacks S, Perry T, Trotter J, Kawut SM. Risk Factors and Impact of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in Candidates for Liver Transplantation. Liver Transpl (in press)
- Dove LM, Rosen RC, Ramcharran D, Wahed AS, Belle SH, Brown RS, Hoofnagle JH for the Virahep-C Study Group. Decline in Male Sexual Desire, Function and Satisfaction During and After Antiviral Therapy for Chronic Hepatitis C.
- Stein EM, Cohen A, Freeby M, Rogers H, Kokolus S, Scott V, Mancini D, Restaino S, Brown R, McMahon DJ, Shane E. Severe Vitamin D Deficiency among Heart and Liver Transplant Recipients. Clin Transplant 2009 DOI: 10.1111/J.1399-0012
- Verna EC, DeMartin E, Burra P, Neri D, Gaglio PJ, Emond JC, Brown RS Jr. The Impact of Hepatitis C and Biliary Complications on Patient and Graft Survival Following Liver Transplantation. Am Jour of Transpl 2009, 9:1398-1405
- Roberts KE, Fallon MB, Krowka MJ, Brown RS Jr., Trotter JF, Tighiouart H, Knowles JA, Babinowitz D, Benza RL, Badesch DB, Taichman DB, Horn EM, Zacks S, Kaplowitz N, Kawut SM for the PVCLD Study Group. Genetic Risk Factors for Portopulmonary Hypertension in Patients with Advanced Liver Disease. 2009 AmJ Resp Crit Care Med Vol 179 pp835-842.
- Lai, JC, Pichardo, EM, Emond JC, Brown RS Jr. Resource Utilization of Living Donor Versus Deceased Donor Liver Transplantation is Similar at an Experienced Transplant Center. Am Jour of Trans 2009; 9: 586-591
- Lai JC, Lebwohl B, Montero A, Brown RS Jr*. The Specialized Housestaff Service Model: A Novel Housestaff Educational Model for Quaternary-Care Patients at an Academic Medical Center. Academic Medicine February 2009 Vol 84;2:206-11
- Rana A, Hardy MA, Halazun KJ, Woodland DC, Ratner LE, Samstein B, Guarrera JV, Brown RS Jr, Emond JC. Survival Outcomes Following Liver Transplantation (SOFT) score: A novel method to predict patient survival following liver transplantation. Am J Transplant 2008;8:2537-46.
- Siegel, AB, Cohen E, Ocean A, Lehrer D, Goldenberg A, Knox JJ, Chen H, Garvey SC, Weinberg A, Mandeli J, Christos P, Mazumdar M, Brown RS Jr., Popa E, Jin D, Rafii S, Schwartz J. A Phase II Trial Evaluating the Clinical and Biological Effects of Bevacizumab in Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:2992-8.
- Kawut SM, Krowka MJ, Trotter JF, Roberts KE, Benza RL, Badesch DB, Taichman DB, Horn EM, Zacks S, Kaplowitz N, Brown RS, Fall MB. Clinical Risk Factors for Portopulmonary Hypertension. Hepatology 2008;48:196-203.
- Siegel AB, McBride R, El-Serag H, Zablotska L, Hershman D, Brown RS Jr., Neugut AI. The Risk of hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients with Previous Malignancy. Presented, GI ASCO 2007. Cancer Invest 2008;26:511-5.
- Brown RS Jr* Live Donors in Liver Transplantation. Gastroenterology 2008;134:1802-1813
- Fallon MB, Krowka MJ, Brown RS, Trotter JF, Zacks S, Roberts KE, Shah VH, Kaplowitz N, Forman L, Wille K, Kawut SM for the PVCLD Study Group. Impact of Hepatopulmonary Syndrome on Quality of Life and Survival in Liver Transplant Candidates. Gastroenterology 2008;135:1168-75.
- Siegel AB, McBride RB, El-Serag HB, Hershman DL, Brown RS, Jr., Renz JF, Emond JC, Neugut AI. Racial Disparities in Utilization of Liver Transplantation for Hepatocellular Carcinoma in the United States 1998-2002. Am J Gastroenterol 2008;103:120-7
- Haskal ZJ, Brown RS Jr.* Role of Biliary Stress Manometry after Biliary Stricture Dilation in Living Donor Liver Transplant Recipients. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2008; 19:216-219
- Afdhal N, McHutchinson J, Brown R, Jacobson I, Manns M, Poordad F, Weksler B, Esteban R. Thrombocytopenia Associated with Chronic Liver Disease. J Hepatol 2008;48:1000-07
- Hassanein TI, Tofteng F, Brown RS Jr, McGuire B, Lynch P, Mehta R, Larsen FS, Gorbein J, Stange J, Blei AT. Randomized Controlled Study of Extracorporeal Albumin Dialysis for Hepatic Encepholopathy in Advanced Cirrhosis. Hepatology 2007;46:1853-62
- Jakab SS, West AB, Meighan DM, Brown RS Jr, Hale WB. Mycophenolate mofetil for drug-induced vanishing bile duct syndrome. World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Dec 7; 13(45):6087-6089.
- Brown RS Jr. Steroids in recurrent hepatitis C following liver transplantation: Pitfall or panacea? J Hepatol. 2007 Dec; 47(6):741-3. Epub 2007 Oct 8.
- Weisberg IS, Brown RS Jr, Sigal SH. Hepatitis B and end-stage liver disease. Clin Liver Dis. 2007 Nov; 11(4):893-916.
- Hassanein TI, Tofteng F, Brown RS Jr, McGuire B, Lynch P, Mehta R, Larsen FS, Gornbein J, Stange J, Blei AT. Randomized controlled study of extracorporeal albumin dialysis for hepatic encephalopathy in advanced cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2007 Nov 1.
- Jacobson IM, Brown RS Jr, McCone J, Black M, Albert C, Dragutsky MS, Siddiqui FA, Hargrave T, Kwo PY, Lambiase L, Galler GW, Araya V, Freilich B, Harvey J, Griffel LH, Brass CA; WIN-R Study Group. Impact of weight-based ribavirin with peginterferon alfa-2b in African Americans with hepatitis C virus genotype 1. Hepatology. 2007 Oct; 46(4):982-90.
- Jacobson IM, Brown RS Jr, Freilich B, Afdhal N, Kwo PY, Santoro J, Becker S, Wakil AE, Pound D, Godofsky E, Strauss R, Bernstein D, Flamm S, Pauly MP, Mukhopadhyay P, Griffel LH, Brass CA; WIN-R Study Group. Peginterferon alfa-2b and weight-based or flat-dose ribavirin in chronic hepatitis C patients: a randomized trial. Hepatology. 2007 Oct; 46(4):971-81.
- Guarrera JV, Alkofer BJ, Feirt N, Sandoval R, Samstein B, Smith ET Jr, Marshman D, Cogswell C, Vannatta J, Brown RS Jr, Emond JC, Renz JF. Discovery of diffuse biliary microhamartomas during liver procurement. Liver Transpl. 2007 Oct; 13(10):1470-1.
- Siegel AB, McBride R, El-Serag H, Hershman D, Brown RS Jr, Renz J, Neugut A. Racial disparities in utilization of liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Presentation, GI ASCO 2006, accepted, A J Gastroenterol.
- Hernandez L, Johnson TC, Naiyer AJ, Kryszak D, Ciaccio EJ, Min A, Bodenheimer HC Jr, Brown RS Jr, Fasano A, Green PH. Chronic Hepatitis C Virus and Celiac Disease, is there an Association? Dig Dis Sci. 2007 Jun 5.
- Fisher RA, Kulik LM, Freise CE, Lok AS, Shearon TH, Brown RS Jr, Ghobrial RM, Fair JH, Olthoff KM, Kam I, Berg CL; A2ALL Study Group. Hepatocellular carcinoma recurrence and death following living and deceased donor liver transplantation. Am J Transplant. 2007 Jun; 7(6):1601-8.
- McHutchison JG, Manns MP, Brown RS Jr, Reddy KR, Shiffman ML, Wong JB. Strategies for managing anemia in hepatitis C patients undergoing antiviral therapy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007 Apr; 102(4):880-9.
- Terrault NA, Shiffman ML, Lok AS, Saab S, Tong L, Brown RS Jr, Everson GT, Reddy KR, Fair JH, Kulik LM, Pruett TL, Seeff LB; A2ALL Study Group. Outcomes in hepatitis C virus-infected recipients of living donor vs. deceased donor liver transplantation. Liver Transpl. 2007 Jan; 13(1):122-9.
- Brown RS Jr. Customizing treatment to patient populations. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007 Jan; 4 Suppl 1:S3-9.
- Olsen SK, Brown RS Jr. Hepatitis B treatment: Lessons for the nephrologist. Kidney Int. 2006 Dec;70(11):1897-904. Epub 2006 Oct 4.
- Verna EC, Brown RS Jr. Hepatitis C virus and liver transplantation. Clin Liver Dis. 2006 Nov; 10(4):919-40.
- Lefkowitch JH, Lobritto SJ, Brown RS Jr, Emond JC, Schilsky ML, Rosenthal LA, George DM, Cairo MS. Ground-glass, polyglucosan-like hepatocellular inclusions: A "new" diagnostic entity. Gastroenterology. 2006 Sep; 131(3):713-8.
- Brown RS Jr. Asymptomatic liver mass. Gastroenterology. 2006 Aug; 131(2):619-23.
- Brown RS Jr. Evaluating the evidence from clinical trials in chronic hepatitis C. J Viral Hepat. 2006 May; 13 Suppl 1:15-25.
- Gaglio PJ, Brown RS Jr. Who should treat liver transplant patients? The transplant hepatologist or the gastroenterologist? Part I: the transplant hepatologist. J Hepatol. 2006 Apr; 44(4):655-7.
- Dickson RC, Terrault NA, Ishitani M, Reddy KR, Sheiner P, Luketic V, Soldevila-Pico C, Fried M, Jensen D, Brown RS Jr, Horwith G, Brundage R, Lok A. Protective antibody levels and dose requirements for IV 5% Nabi Hepatitis B immune globulin combined with lamivudine in liver transplantation for hepatitis B-induced end stage liver disease. Liver Transpl. 2006 Jan; 12(1):124-33.
- Moss J, Lapointe-Rudow D, Renz JF, Kinkhabwala M, Dove LM, Gaglio PJ, Emond JC, Brown RS Jr. Select utilization of obese donors in living donor liver transplantation: implications for the donor pool. Am J Transplant. 2005 Dec; 5(12):2974-81.
- Jacobson IM, Gonzalez SA, Ahmed F, Lebovics E, Min AD, Bodenheimer HC Jr, Esposito SP, Brown RS Jr, Bräu N, Klion FM, Tobias H, Bini EJ, Brodsky N, Cerulli MA, Aytaman A, Gardner PW, Geders JM, Spivack JE, Rahmin MG, Berman DH, Ehrlich J, Russo MW, Chait M, Rovner D, Edlin BR. A randomized trial of pegylated interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin in the retreatment of chronic hepatitis C. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005 Nov; 100(11):2453-62.
- Verna EC, Hunt KH, Renz JF, Rudow DL, Hafliger S, Dove LM, Kinkhabwala M, Emond JC, Brown RS Jr. Predictors of candidate maturation among potential living donors. Am J Transplant. 2005 Oct; 5(10):2549-54.
- Rudow DL, Brown RS Jr. Role of the independent donor advocacy team in ethical decision making. Prog Transplant. 2005 Sept; 15(3):298-302.
- Brown RS Jr. MARS preconditioning for living donor liver transplantation: panacea or placebo? Liver Int. 2005 Aug; 25(4):692-5.
- Rudow DL, Chariton M, Sanchez C, Chang S, Serur D, Brown RS Jr. Kidney and liver living donors: a comparison of experiences. Prog Transplant. 2005 Jun; 15(2):185-91.
- Herrine SK, Brown RS Jr, Bernstein DE, Ondovik MS, Lentz E, Te H. Peginterferon alpha-2a combination therapies in chronic hepatitis C patients who relapsed after or had a viral breakthrough on therapy with standard interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin: a pilot study of efficacy and safety. Dig Dis Sci. 2005 Apr; 50(4):719-26.
- Sterling RK, Brown RS Jr, Hofmann CM, Luketic VA, Stravitz RT, Sanyal AJ, Contos MJ, Mills AS, Smith V, Shiffman ML. The Spectrum of Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection in the Virginia Correctional System: Development of a Strategy for the Evaluation and Treatment of Inmates with HCV. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005 Feb; 100(2):313-21.
- rown Jr., Robert S., Guest Editor, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy - Clinics of North America, W.B. Saunders, Volume II, Number 1, January 2000.
- Yee HF Jr, Brown RS Jr, Ostroff JW. Fatal Clostridium difficile enteritis following total abdominal colectomy. J Clin Gastro 1995; 22: 45-7.
- Brown RS Jr, Farraye F, Peppercorn MA, Glotzer DG, Antonioli D, Taylor G. Carcinoid tumor of the esophagus. J Clin Gastro 1994; 19: 338-9.