Hans-Willem Snoeck, MD, PhD
- Professor of Medicine (in Microbiology and Immunology)
The research program of the Snoeck lab primarily focuses on hematopoiesis with the aim to improve bone marrow transplantation and gene therapy targeted at hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), and gain insight in leukemogenesis. To achieve a deeper understanding of the mechanisms involved in self-renewal of HSCs, genes underlying quantitative genetic variation in the behavior of HSCs among inbred mouse strains were mapped. After identification of allelic variation in the Prdm16 gene as one of the underlying mechanisms, the lab now focuses on the mechanism of action of Prdm16 in the renewal of HSCs. Expansion of this program into directed differentiation of human embryonic stem cells (ESCs) and induced pluripotent state cells (iPSCs) (collectively called human pluripotent cells (hPSCs)) arose from the desire to attempt to alleviate post-bone marrow transplantation immune deficiency, caused, among others, by defective T cell reconstitution. Furthermore, the capacity to generate thymic epithelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells will allow the generation of the next generation of ‘personal immune’ mice. As the thymus develops from the anterior foregut endoderm, the approaches we developed also led to strategies to generate virtually every type of cell of the respiratory system from hPSCs.
- Avagyan S, Amrani Y, Snoeck HW. (2010) Isolation and analysis of mouse hematopoietic stem cells. Methods Enzymol, 476:429-447.
- Yvan-Charvet L, Pagler T, Gautier EL, Avagyan S, Siry RL, Han S, Welch CL, Wang N, Randolph GJ, Snoeck HW, Tall AR. (2010). ATP binding cassette transporters and HDL suppress hematopoietic stem cell proliferation. Science, 328:1989-1993.
- Aguilo F, Avagyan S, Labar A, Sevilla A, Lee DF, Kumar P, Lemischka IR, Zhou BY, Snoeck HW. (2011). Prdm16 is a physiological regulator of hematopoietic stem cells. Blood, 117:267-272.
- Green M, Chen A, Nostro MC, d'Souza S, Schaniel C, Lemischka IR, Gouon-Evans V, Keller G, Snoeck HW. (2011). Generation of anterior foregut endoderm from human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells. Nat. Biotechnol., 29:267-272.
- Avagyan S, Aguilo F, Kamezaki K, Snoeck HW (2011). Quantitative trait mapping reveals a regulatory axis involving peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors, PRDM16, transforming growth factor-Ã¯ÂÂ¢2 and FLT3 in hematopoiesis. Blood, 118:6078-6086.
- Green M, Snoeck HW. (2011) Novel approaches for immune reconstitution and adaptive immune modeling with human pluripotent stem cells. BMC Medicine 9:51.
- Longmire TA, Ikonomou L, Hawkins F, Christodoulou C, Cao Y, Jean JC, Kwok LW, Mou H, Rajagopal J, Shen SS, Dowton AA, Serra M, Weiss DJ, Green MD, Snoeck HW, Ramirez MI, Kotton DN. (2012) Efficient derivation of purified lung and thyroid progenitors from embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 10:398-411.
- Lee DF, Su J, Ang YS Carvajal-Vergara X, Mulero-Navarro S, Pereira CF, Gingold J, Wang HL, Zhao R, Sevilla A, Darr H, Williamson AJK, Chang B, Niu X, Aguilo F, Flores ER, Sher YP, Hung MC, Whetton AD, Gelb BD, Moor KA, Snoeck HW, Ma'ayan A, Schaniel C, Lemischka IR (2012). Regulation of Embryonic and Induced Pluripotency by Aurora Kinase-p53 Signaling. Cell Stem Cell, 11:179-194.
- Green M, Huang S, Snoeck HW. (2013) Stem cells of the respiratory system: From identification to differentiation into functional epithelium. Bioessays. 35:261-270.
- Snoeck HW. (2013). Aging of the hematopoietic system. Current Opin. Hematol. 20:355-361.
- Huang SX, Islam MN, O'Neill J, Hu Z, Yang Y-Y, Chen Y-W, Green MD, Mumau M, Vunakc-Novakovic G, Bhattacharya J, Snoeck HW. (2014) Highly efficient generation of lung and airway epithelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Nat Biotechnol., 32:84-91.
- Kamezaki K, Snoeck HW. (2014) Differential requirement of wild-type Flt3 in leukemic stem cells which is not reflected in vitro assays for leukemic stem cells. Exp Hematol, 32:84-91.
- Baker SJ, Ma'ayan A, Lieu YK, John P, Reddy MVR, Chen EY, Duan Q, Snoeck HW, Reddy EP. (2014) B-myb is Essential Regulator of Hematopoietic Stem Cell and Myeloid Progenitor Cell Development. Proc. Natl. Acad Sci USA, 111:3122-3127.
- Huang SX, Green M, Toste A, Mumau M, Chen YW, Snoeck HW. (2015) Protocol of for the generation of lung and airway epithelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Nat Protocols, 10:413-425.
- Ciancanelli M, Huang SX, Luthra P, Garner H, ITan Y, Volpi S, Trouillet C, Schmolke M, Isrealsson E, Herman M, Hermesh T, Lorenzo L, Albrecht RA, Leung LW, Okada S, Picard C, Ringuier B, Troussier F, Chaussabel D, Abel L, Pellier I, Notarangelo LD, Garcai-Sastre A, Basler CF, Geissmann F, Zhang SY, Snoeck HW, Casanova JL. (2015)Impaired innate and intrinsic IFNα/β amplification underlies life-threatening influenza in human inherited IRF7 deficiency. Science, 348:448-453.
- Snoeck HW (2015). Can Metabolic Mechanisms of Stem Cell Maintenance Explain Aging and the Immortal Germline? Cell Stem Cell, 16:582-584.
- Luchsinger LL, Justino de Almeida M, Corrigan DJ, Mumau M, Snoeck HW. Mitofusin 2 maintains hematopoietic stem cells with extensive lymphoid potential. Nature, 529(7587):528-531.